In this year's Big Give Christmas Challenge, we aim to raise £64,144 to support 10 rural Kenyan communities to adopt sustainable farming techniques, so their children will no longer have to go to bed hungry.
We have already helped these communities to build sand dams. Now we need to support them to learn new farming practices, using the trapped water to its fullest potential to make a living from the land. Even in the face of severe drought, by using these techniques, they will be able to harvest enough to feed their family and pay school fees for their children, breaking free of the cycle of poverty.
Match funding is limited, and is available on a first-come, first served basis. Please could you donate today, so that their children no longer have to go to bed hungry in the new year?
- £3 could provide a farmer with 2kgs of drought-tolerant seeds, to grow reliable crops that will nourish their children
- £5 could provide a watering can, for a farmer to tend to a tree nursery, growing fruit and firewood to keep their children fed and warm
- £7 could provide a farmer with a pickaxe to dig deep terracing on their farm, to ensure they harvest enough to pay for their children’s school fees
- £15 could provide a farmer with a set of seven different types of drought-tolerant seeds, to grow at different times, to ensure they always have nutritious food for their children
- £30 could provide a farmer with a set of gardening tools, including a rake, wheelbarrow, gardening fork and watering can, so they can tend a tree nursery to grow fruit, fodder and fuel, to feed and support their families
Please support us in this year's Big Give Christmas Challenge, and help twice as many Kenyan farmers to safeguard against the effects of climate change, so they can feed their families and send their children to school for years to come.
The Big Give Christmas Challenge runs from Tuesday 29 November at midday to Friday 2 December at midday. All donations must be made via the Big Give website.